- This event has passed.
Geology in the Pacific Northwest
August 7, 2017 - August 18, 2017| Inquire for rates
Whether you are a teacher seeking professional development CEUs, licensure, or you are an interested community member, Marylhurst invites you to participate in this two week hands-on workshop to learn that each rock and landform in the Pacific Northwest has a story to tell.
Investigate and appreciate the process and products of geology and geologic events that occur on scales beyond ordinary human experience. This continuing education workshop incorporates studies and activities that build a foundation for field experiences in geology. Acquired knowledge and skills will be applied in the field to give relevance to an understanding of our earth and its ever-changing landscape. Special emphasis will be placed on how geology affects ecology and the environment. This workshop will underscore the value of multidisciplinary approaches to the study of science.
For licensed teachers seeking continuing education or licensure. Interested community members are also welcome to enroll. This workshop has no prerequisites. Three CEUs.
- Develop an understanding and appreciation for encouraging cooperative learning, positive social interaction and active engagement in classroom learning.
- Understand the central concepts of geology and geologic processes in order to apply that understanding in an authentic setting that makes learning both accessible and meaningful.
- Utilize critical thinking and collaboration to understand and explain our geologic and geographic environment and how we must adapt to geologic hazards present in our daily lives.
- Select an assessment vehicle to demonstrate growth and understanding of geology and geological processes.
- Transform the workshop into a viable science lesson to share with students.
Workshop Fee: Please inquire for CEU, college credit and workshop rates.
August 7 – 10, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
August 11 – 13, Overnight field trip
August 14 – 18, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Instructor: Jerry Kuykendall
How to register for Continuing Education: